Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is by far one of my favorite soups to make!

 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Prep: 15 minutes

 
Ingredients
2  14-ounce cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
*(I have never found this and just use regular chicken broth)
1  14-1/2-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
*(I've use my own canned tomatoes with hot peppers added)
2  cups shredded cooked chicken (about 10 ounces)
2  bags frozen (yellow, green, and red) peppers and onion stir-fry vegetables
1  cup tortilla chips 
1 cup shredded Mexican or Cheddar Cheese
  Sliced fresh jalapeno chile peppers or small can of diced green chile peppers* (optional)

 Directions
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine broth, undrained tomatoes, chicken, and frozen vegetables.
2. Cover and cook. I have left this on low for almost 10 hours and it's wonderful!  I tried cooking it on high for almost 4 hours the other day and my peppers & onions were a bit too crunchy for me. 
3. To serve, ladle soup into warm soup bowls and top with tortilla chips and cheese. If desired, top with chile peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment