Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

You know you love your husband when after he leaves for work you spend the next half hour crying ..... cause you're slicing onions for his favorite soup!

I've been in a slump lately regarding dinner.  I love to cook and create new things but by 3 or 4 in the afternoon when I should be starting dinner prep I'm so tired and worn out I can't even think about what I want to make. But that also doesn't mean I want to eat frozen casseroles for the next three months.  So when I stumbled upon this gem in my email yesterday from Pillsbury I knew I had to make it.  Almost all the prep is done in the morning (when I have some energy) and then left to cook all day in the crock-pot!

So here it is a new one for us, I'll be sure to let you know how it turned out!

Slow-Cooker Rustic French Onion Soup

Ingredients

  • 6 large onions, cut in half, then thinly sliced (14 cups)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup dry sherry
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® beef-flavored broth (4 cups)
  • 20 slices (1/2 inch thick) baguette (about 10 oz)
  • 6 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) (Store didn't have this, bought Swiss instead)

Steps

  • 1 Spray 6- to 7-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, place onions, butter, salt, pepper and dried thyme. In medium bowl, mix flour, sherry and water with wire whisk until blended. Stir into onion mixture.
  • 2 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 10 hours or until onions are softened and deep brown.
  • 3 Stir broth into slow cooker. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 10 minutes or until hot.
  • 4 Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Line cookie sheet with foil. Arrange baguette slices in single layer on cookie sheet. Broil with tops 3 inches from heat 2 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Sprinkle cheese evenly over slices; broil 1 minute longer or until cheese is bubbly. Top each bowl of soup with 2 cheese toasts. Sprinkle with fresh thyme.
     
     
    Follow me on facebook - www.facebook.com/alongthewaytoblessed 

No comments:

Post a Comment