Friday, October 8, 2010

Home-made English Muffins

I love to entertain family and friends in my home.  I love to try new things.  I love to experiments on my guests.  ha! I love to save money. and... I will admit when I fail.

My wonderful B-I-L and S-I-L were up a couple weekends ago and we had the honor of having them stay at our house.  Of course this gave me the perfect excuse to try something new - Home-made English Muffins.  I was so excited I talked them up all day on Saturday (should have know better). 

I failed - TWICE.  I woke up on-time to start the batter, but my yeast was at my mom's (next-door) and I didn't have the heart to wake them up early.  By time I did get the yeast I was already running behind and didn't leave it sit long enough to raise.   I also didn't have tart rings so the muffins were free-form.  They ended up flat and very odd shaped.  My gracious guests ate them and seemed to enjoy them.   *I did not take any pictures - way too embarrassing*

BUT I could not leave it at that.  So after church I went right back to the recipe and tried it again.  I did things correctly this time by leaving the batter raise for the right amount of time.  I also found some metal heart cookie cutters that I thought would work in a pinch and I used wide-mouth canning rings.  ha! 

Well they would have worked except I didn't realize how much they were going to raise.  So when I flipped them over (easier said then done) the extra batter just oozed everywhere! The following pictures tell the story nicely.  Please don't laugh too hard.... :)





They do look beautiful if you ignore the 'extra' batter.  Oh they were so good the next day toasted and covered in butter and jam. Yum.

As they always say - 3rd time's a charm.  Who's coming next to stay at my house?


Linked to - Friday Fails at myblessedlife.net
Linked to - Frugal Fridays at LifeasMOM.com

5 comments:

  1. I admire your ambition....sometimes I am just too tired to try new things!

    Hey, have you ever heard of this program? http://www.foodonthetable.com/

    If they ever start working with the grocery stores in PA, I will be using it in a heartbeat! Thought I would share, as it seems right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made homemade english muffins in a very LONG time. What a lovely reminder....I think I'll make a batch this weekend. They make the best Eggs Benedict :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your problem was more in your recipe by the looks of it. Mine are never a batter but a dough you roll and cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - Thanks but nope this receipe was surely a 'batter'. I'd be interested in trying yours out though - send it along if you can! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Heather. I make my dough in a bread machine and then roll and cut out using the lip of a water goblet. No rings needed:) Good for you for keeping on trying, though. If you want my recipe, it's: http://quickeasycheaphealthy.blogspot.com/2010/02/champion-breakfasts-honey-whole-wheat.html

    ReplyDelete