Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sausage Taco

One of the desires that I had when I started this blog was to share information that would be helpful and enjoyable to others. 

My gram is constantly passing along her older magazines to me and sometimes I glance through them and sometimes I don't. But lately I've been in a rut with dinner lately.  Just no interest in cooking and creating new things.  Well... she gave me a Woman's Day and there were a bunch of taco recipes in it. So I went with it and made one last night.... and it was a huge hit with Nathan and I!

But of course I tweaked a bit cause that's just what I do.  There were no peppers in the original recipe but since I am trying to make everything healthier I don't miss any opportunity to add some extra vegetables to all meals. :)

Sausage, Pepper, Onion, Potato Tacos
1 large yellow pepper chopped
1 large red pepper chopped
1 onion chopped
1 lb sweet Italian sausage
1 lb hash browns
olive oil
paprika, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, pepper

I chopped up a large yellow pepper, red pepper, onion and sautéed them in a little bit of olive oil.  While that was cooking, I rehydrated the hash browns (Hungry Jack's where you just add water - love them!).  And then threw them in a skillet to crisp them up a bit in olive oil.  After the vegetables were softened, I added  sweet Italian sausage with the casings removed.   I broke the sausage up with a spoon, and cooked until sausage was brown, and vegetables were tender.  Then I added a 1/2 tsp of paprika, oregano, and chili powder; plus 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper.  And left to cook/blend the flavors together.   Finally, I threw the crisped hash browns in, mixed together and left to cook for another minute or so.

I served them in just flour tortillas burrito style.  Now I personally think we needed something else on them... sour cream, guacamole, fresh tomato salsa, some cheese.... something to offset the spiciness. But for the first time making them I think the were pretty yummy.

Don't forget the post from yesterday about two ways I earn some extra $$ around here.

Follow me on Facebook!

See my disclosure policy here

No comments:

Post a Comment