Friday, July 26, 2013

Zucchini Boat


Before we were able to find a couple of our own zucchini my uncle gave us some of his.  Now his garden is one that I will admit to coveting... :) It's just down right amazing.

The ones he gave me were bigger than my calf and I had no idea what I was going to do with them. I made these amazing oatmeal bars (will post later).  Out of one zucchini I got 4 batches of bars and 2 quart bags of grated zucchini. yes they really were that big.

I see all these awesome recipes on facebook lately and I want to try them but when it's time I can't find them again.  So I had to wing this one with the help of my best friend who I was stalking while she was traveling for a weekend away :)

I basically just cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and some of the pulp.


Sautéed some chopped peppers and onions in coconut oil and then threw in some chopped chicken sausage. It wasn't the Italian sausage that I would have preferred - this was links that I cut into pieces.

I rubbed some olive oil and season salt on the outside of the zucchini and then stuffed them with the filling.  I took a piece of foil and sprayed it before I covered the filling side of the zucchini.


Preheated grill and grilled filling side down for 10-12 minutes, once it started to get soft I flipped them over and removed the foil.


I then spread some seasoned bread crumbs and Colby-jack cheese over the filling while it continued to cook. They sure looked pretty!


I wasn't totally impressed with them - I thought they were bland - needed something.  But they were healthy so I will be attempting them again.


What are your suggestions for seasoning or spicing them up a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment