Thursday, August 1, 2013

Media Fast recap

Since this technically isn't media I thought I would keep a running commentary of my successes and/or struggles with this fast. :)

7:09AM Tuesday morning - sat down with my cup of tea and thought 'well what do I do now?' Normally I would surf facebook and the web while enjoying my tea in the morning.  I decided to go through a pile of receipts and updated my spreadsheets and file. *Success

Tuesday 6:16pm The electric went off at 10:00am and didn't come back on till almost 5:00pm.  That was very helpful in letting me stay away from my temptations today!  I finally got to check my email and realize how few 'real' emails I get from people, I was hoping for more. :)  I want to check facebook so bad. I will not lie.

Wednesday 7:20am - my son has been up since 6:45am.  After 6 straight years of either being pregnant or nursing a little one I am still enjoying my sleep and like to sleep as much as I can. Good or bad I'm not sure but that's how it is. Very tempted to let him watch a movie but pushed through and did not.  He has struggled the most with the no-movies for 48hours.  I also had a random crazy dream about someone from my past whom I haven't spoken too or even thought about in years.  Dying to get on facebook and look them up. But will refrain and by tomorrow I'm sure it won't seem so important.

Wednesday 2:50pm just got home from a dr appointment. Traveling in the car was a struggle.  I am a radio channel surfer. I never stay on one channel for one entire song, I hate commercials, and just generally skip around continuously.  so that was rough.  I also packed my bible to read Romans 12 in the waiting room, I knew there would be some temptation there with the 'rag' magazines available - I'll be honest and say I'm a bit obsessed with the new royal baby.  Love looking at Duchess Kate on the steps of the hospital looking like she actually just gave birth and not a flat stomach 24 hours after the baby was born!   The children got to spend some time at Grammy's this morning and ended up watching some TV so that's a bummer but it happens.  We'll see how the rest of the day goes.  I'm tired and it's gotten hot again.

Wednesday 3:45pm  I'm checking email and keep going to the next tab to open facebook or just browse the internet.  feeling drained after my dentist appointment and the decisions that need to be made.  Want to escape for awhile. 

Wednesday 4:28pm  I'm surprised how many times I find myself drifting towards the computer to check facebook. only to realize it's not open. Now I can see how easily I get distracted. hmmmm

Wed 6:19pm really. not one email since 3:28. geez

Wednesday 8:48pm.  The fast will be over when I wake up in the morning. I'm pretty excited (which I realize is really shallow but true).  Below is a list of things I learned and/or are going to change:
  • I definitely need to set limits for myself with facebook.  Maybe some time in the morning, and then in the afternoon during quiet time for the children.  Or from a set time say - 7am-7pm no facebook, or something like that... but I think it needs to be more than just facebook.
  • No movies first thing in the morning for the children too. Josiah is going to be one of those kids that has his school work done by 9am most days.  He does so much better at things in the morning.
  • I never thought I was truly 'addicted' to media but boy this fast has been good for me.  I highly recommend Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe and Living on the Edge: Dare to Experience True Spirituality
  • I felt absolutely disconnected from the outside world.  I never realized how much I use facebook to connect with others, emails is almost too much work anymore.
  • I think I might start trying to do this every weekend.... might. Or at least 48 hours each month at some point.  I feel like I really learned a lot and needed to do some intro-perspective as well.

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

See my disclosure policy here

No comments:

Post a Comment