Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yikes

Well.... I thought this was going to be easier. 

I went shopping yesterday and spent more than I wanted to.  But there were some really good sales.  I've got half a month left and $123 for groceries.  If I am going to stick with the $300 grocery budget I'm going to have to really re-think how we eat.  And how I shop.  Milk, eggs, fruits, and vegetables are expensive.  I am thankful to be able to start buying farm fresh eggs again (the girls are laying!).  Milk is a must with two small children, and if we at all want to be healthy so are fruits & veggies. 

I just really didn't think it was going to be this hard.  I don't remember buying that much stuff but I must have since half of my budget is gone.

Some of the changes I'm going to institute for next month are:
  • Reserve 20 bucks for each week to spend on the above 4 items.
  • Try to eat healthier by not buying processed or artificial foods - even if it's on sale or free.
  • Really truly stick with my pantry challenge and use up all that food that's hanging around.
  • Try to be more cautious of how much I spend on those little 'stop and pick up one thing trips' - I think that's where it's getting me.
But in the other areas of my budget we're doing really well. I have cut back on my spending in almost all of the other areas.  I'm almost out of money with my drugstore games, restaurants takes a hit since my hubby has once a week lunches with the men from our church (it's great fellowship for him so I can't complain), and we've taken some out of medical.  I need to get my dog's toe nails cut, and there are some random things my kids need.  But other than that I don't see many expenses coming up between now and the end of the month.  So excited!

How's it going for all of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment