Monday, December 9, 2013

Finding Joy


As we come into a very busy week at our house, followed by another busy week, and then suddenly Christmas I am starting to feel things unravel. I am starting to feel like I'm losing control.  but.... I know that I do have control, I just have to grab it.  I have to focus on finding joy.

Here's what our week holds.

Monday: Daddy at work, late because of holiday party, will miss dinner at home, must stay up and finish church treasury stuff.
Tuesday: Daddy at work, church board meeting in the evening. Will miss bedtime.
Wednesday: Daddy at work, deer hanging in garage that must be cut up and processed, probably will miss bedtime.
Thursday: Daddy off - hunting all day, arrival time is completely dependent on whet,her the crew gets another deer.  Which also leads to when he might get to go to sleep. :)
Friday: Same as Thursday.
Saturday: Same as Thursday.

And that's just his stuff (I still have all my things that I have to do or attend and participate in), but having him gone really makes the week harder on mama for sure.  And I don't think it's because I have three children, I think it would feel the same if we only had one.  It just that our normal routine is going to be completely off and that makes the entire week rough for families of any size.

Joy.... about that joy thing.  I am trying to focus on the good things and have thanksgiving to see if it helps to brighten my days.
  • I am thankful Daddy has a job and can work AND take off to hunt.
  • I am thankful for his willingness to serve in the church and take on jobs that no one else wants. 
  • I am thankful for the deer hanging and the prospect of having meat for our family in the coming year.
  • I am thankful that because Daddy works and hunts I am able to stay home, imagine how bad this week would be if I was also working full-time. By Saturday I'd be in the fetal position. 
  • I am thankful that I am not resentful or angry about the time he spends away from us for good things... there could be a whole lot worse things he could be away from the house for. 
  • I am thankful that he struggles as well - that he too misses us and wishes he could be home but knows that these are things he must do so because of that I try hard to not complain or be grumpy. I try to put a smile on my face and move forward as much as I can. So that the precious few minutes he may have with me or the children and calm and enjoyable, not adding more stress to him already.
  • I am thankful for my friends and family who support me and do listen to me when I am on the verge of going crazy since I'll be spending almost the entire week alone with 3 children ages 6 and under. :) Oh and this pregnant belly I keep forgetting I have which means I end up overdoing it. blah! 
How do you find joy in the every day things?

No comments:

Post a Comment